**Areas of Provident Living**

  • Spiritual Strength
  • Home Storage
  • Health
  • Employment
  • Finances
  • Education


"Usually the Lord gives us the overall objectives to be accomplished and some guidelines to follow, but he expects us to work out most of the details and methods." -Pres. Ezra Taft Benson


Doomsday Prepper Song

16 June 2010

Mesa Cannery Changes

In my last post I challenged the ward to inventory and check your own long-term storage this summer and get to the cannery to restock and replenish. I also mentioned that orders for cannery items are alarmingly low - not just in our Stake but statewide.

I just received notice that the cannery times and days available for canning is changing quite significantly due to the low activity in dry-pack canning. Thus, the cannery has consolidated their times and days we can use the facilities. As of July 1st the following schedule will be in effect:

Monday CLOSED
Tuesday 8:00 am 4:00 pm
Wednesday 8:00 am 4:00 pm
Thursday 8:00 am 4:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am 7:00 pm
Fridays will be dedicated for Open Family/Individual Canning the entire day, by appointment!

Saturday 8:00 am 12:00 pm (Always closed the first Saturday of each month)
(Saturdays are only for stake shift canning and for the purchase of bulk and prepackaged items.)

Please note that our Stake canning day WILL REMAIN the 3rd Tuesday of EVERY MONTH @ 1 pm.

I went to our Stake canning day yesterday and had the opportunity to speak with Brother and Sister Powell, the Directors of the Mesa Home Storage Center (the official name I guess of the cannery), and they explained that with 60 Stakes that are assigned to use the facilities they still needed to consolidate the times and days because things are so slow. I don't know about any of you reading this, but that is a bit scary to me and disappointing. It seems to me that especially with the economy as it is there is a greater need for us to be utilizing the cannery, not less.

So again, I challenge each of you to assess your long-term storage.
Do you have what you need?
Do you know how to cook and prepare what you do have?
Is it still edible?
Is it expired?
If something were to happen, would you have on hand all that you need to take care of your family?

If you answered "no" to any of these, I would challenge you to change it to a yes! You are welcome to call me, e-mail me, whatever! I will help you in any way I can. I take my calling very seriously and I am here to help you. If I don't know the answer, you can bet I'll find out.

Lastly, it is very easy to call the cannery and make an appointment for a Friday if that is easier for you instead of going on the assigned Stake Tuesday. You simply need to tell the cannery how many cans you would like to can and how many people will be attending. It's a great opportunity to take your older kids with you and teach them the principle of self-reliance and that "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear."
Mesa Home Storage Center 214-9114

Let me know if there is any way I can help you.
Providently Yours,
~Lisa

P.S. I am posting the price sheet for cannery items, the cooking class schedule at the cannery as well as a few other handouts I got there yesterday. Check them out under the "Cannery Information" heading on the right!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Upcoming Classes:

Our Ward Preparedness Theme for 2012 is . . .
"I DARE YOU!"

Stake/Ward Group Order Information

Next group orders:

Japanese Warning Stones and an Apostle Speaks

In one of my recent stake meetings, as we discussed a preparedness plan for all the wards, one of our High Councilmen told the group of us about this article. It discusses how along the coastlines in Japan there are ancient "warning stones" that give instruction and counsel about what to do in the case of an earthquake and pending tsunami. It is amazing the similarities that we can draw between our modern day prophets, seers and revelators and the purpose of these stones. Read it and think about how this article relates to self-reliance, obedience and preparedness. The article provides an awesome family home evening lesson as well - try giving your kids a stone with an applicable scripture written on it as a reminder of the lessons to be learned from the article. http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/08/limits-to-disaster-memory-even-etched-in-stone/ I would also encourage you to read this talk, The Celestial Nature of Self-Reliance by Marion G. Romney that was recommended to me today. Spiritual food for thought . . . you will be well fed. http://lds.org/ensign/1984/06/the-celestial-nature-of-self-reliance?lang=eng&query=self+reliance+spiritual

Home Canning Corner

I have compiled a quick list (including pictures) of what I consider essential canning equipment to have in your home if you are serious about canning your own produce, fruit and meat. Home canning brings a sense of satisfaction and provides nutritious homemade meals from your pantry. Home canned food is the perfect addition to your 30-day menu and 90-day supply the First Presidency has counseled us to have. This list should make it easier as you start this rewarding endeavor. Good luck and happy canning!

Food Storage Made Easy website


Food Storage Made Easy